Monday, December 16, 2013

What does drooping Rhododentron Leaves Mean?

I love rhododendron.  Living in North Carolina , I grew up with abundant rhododendron. Below Mount Pisgah near Brevard, North Carolina is a lush area called The Pink Beds, a profusion of pink wildflowers, including mountain laurel and rhododendron.  If you ever get the chance to see this in the spring, I would highly recommend.



Traveling with my job today from Charlotte, NC to Boston, MA, I read an article about rhododendron "Why do rhododendron leaves curl up in the cold"?  I arrived at my hotel in Boston and found rhododendron covering the front of the hotel curled up in the cold.  



I read in the article that the leaf curling is a protective mechanism to be more efficient in photosynthesis and to protect from freeze.  Rest assured that the plant is simply protecting itself. 

No comments: