Saturday, January 4, 2014

Planning for the Spring Garden

As I examine the catalogs that keep coming in this month, I am planning and dreaming a bit about the spring gardens at my house.   One of my resolutions for 2014 is to become more eco-friendly.  The goal is to work with nature and not against it.  I have read that the ideal eco-garden is made up of native plants and often becomes a habitat for birds and butterflies.


I have a great bluebird house in the yard and we enjoy it through the year.  A nuthatch house and a birdbath are on the list for this spring.

Low water plants that I have had luck with over the past few years 
  • Sedum
  • Yarrow
  • Lavender
  • Salvia
  • Juniper
  • Yucca
  • Holly

A great site to use for planning to landscape with native Plants: 

An article dedicated to landscaping for wildlife in NC:


No comments: