Sunday, August 18, 2013

Gardening Chores for August

My summer garden is almost done.  Very few tomatoes are left and the herbs are needing harvest.
I was reading about August chores this morning in a few different garden books that I have around the house and thought I would share my findings:

This is the time for setting out cloves of garlic for an early harvest next summer.  I haven't tried planting garlic before, so will be a new one for me.

It is time to sow the fall garden can be sowed to produce beans, beets, Brussels sprouts, cabbage, carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, lettuce, rutabaga and squash.  Kale, mustard and turnips can be planted now and grown in intervals to lengthen the harvest season.   We will plan to do some beans, lettuce and kale.  I am not a big fan of Brussels sprouts.  It is one of the few vegetables that I do not care for.



No comments: